Monday, May 16, 2011

House Hunters - Torture Episode


Why can't we just make a decision?  My husband and I both suffer from a terrible disease.  The "I can not make a final decision" disease.  Shopping for major purchases is torture for us.  We do fine with little things.... food, clothing, but give us a "major" purchase and we second guess ourselves right into the ground.  It's awful!  I gave up car shopping years ago.  I just told my husband to go and buy something and bring it home.  Well, he took me literally and kept driving the cars to the house to still have me pick one out.  He suffers from the same disease.  Maybe it is because we are born in the same month.  :)

I am telling you all this because we are house hunting.  And it is torture.  What is normally a fun experience for others, is an absolute horror for us.  When I walk through these houses, I can see "us" in most all of them.  Some have been abandoned by their families because of foreclosure.  I see the sadness there and actually feel sorry for the house.  This is not good when trying to purchase a house.  I want to buy the house to fill it up with a family again so it can be happy?

We spent the weekend in the area where we will be relocating looking at houses with the girls in tow.  The girls picked out the house they wanted right away.  It is a house built in 1987 on 6 acres with horses next door.  No high ceilings, no granite counter tops.  Just a very cozy house with a wood burning stove and a cozy basement with lots of "running" room.  It had a long, winding, tree lined drive.  We see "work ahead" everywhere, but still like the homey feel of the house.  This is a short sale house and the lady who left while we were viewing her house had just cleaned.  I could smell the bleach.  You could see her family everywhere.  She loved her house.  She loved her family.  Just a sad situation since it was a short sale.   I know, I know, I shouldn't be emotional about a house I am just looking at.
House #1 - the one the girls love!
The house my hubby fell in love with has no basement, but it has a boathouse/workshop, an in-ground pool and sits on 5 acres that have wonderful landscaping.  The house is nice although the two downstairs bedrooms are a little small and the two upstairs rooms are huge.  I guess the kids would be upstairs.  I like this house too, but wonder about the location.  It is out in the country and the farthest away.
House #2 - the one the hubs loves!
The third contender is a new house which was built in 2006 and has been sitting waiting for a family.  He was purchased by an investor a couple of months ago.  He has 3 acres and one tree.  Yes, beautiful house with a basement, but no trees.  Grass, no trees.  This is Georgia.  Where are the trees?  Give me the trees.  It is in a newer neighborhood and there are kids around.
House #3 - Show me the trees!  (but gorgeous inside)
So, help us please.  Which house would you choose?  Pick one out for us.  PLEASE.  Put us out of our misery.  And yes, I have been praying for an answer.  Did I say PLEASE already?

3 comments:

  1. I would feel much better with a basement, especially after this past spring!!! Trees can grow with time. It is a toss between the first and third. I told my hubs recently that if we ever moved, I want mature trees and shrubs. No more of this starting over stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that we have found a house. Can't wait to hear what they say about out contract. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need trees. BIG TIME. I didn't realize how badly I needed mature landscaping until we moved into this house (which is in a suburban neighborhood with just a few trees here and there- not nearly enough mature shrubbery and shade to my liking). I really need trees! I would think that trees would be a big help somewhere like Georgia where it's very hot, right?

    From the pictures you posted, I love the look of the 2nd house. But they all sound lovely.

    I'll pray for you as you discern, Kat! Such a big decision!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line or two. I would love to hear from you!