Today was an ordinary learning day. For me. Well, about 30 minutes into the day, C-Sunshine has a melt down. She says that the Mom, that's me, is not monitoring her work or providing enough content and guidance into what she is doing. She is bored and sad and wants me to get back in the ballgame. WOW! She was right.This year C-Sunshine was working so well independently, that I kinda just let her have the ball and run with it. Worked for me. Less prep work, time 'splaining things and more time to devote to my emerging reader K-Doodle. WELL, I was put in my place. Now before you start condemning me, let me tell you that all of C-Sunshine's assignments were planned and printed out for her each morning. However, I have been so busy with "outside" interest and obligations, that I have not been grading her papers or keeping up with where she is in things. This caused incorrect lesson numbers, pages number, etc.... I was also just barking out orders (on the assignment sheet) and not giving her any supplies for projects. I just ASSUMED, incorrectly, that she would prefer to do that herself. Not so. She wants Mom's attention too.
So, after a "meeting" with little Miss C-Sunshine, we have revamped her plan for her learning year. Tweaked what's working, what's not. Added more Language Arts at her request (She's Crazy) and laid down a schedule for my little organizer. It goes a little like this......
After the girl's morning routine (dress, brush stuff, bed, breakfast)
1. Language Arts for both
2. Morning Basket time (Thanks Jenn) - here we will have morning prayers, read our weekly Bible verses, Saint stories, Catholic Mosaic, Harp & Laurel Wreath, Poetry (you get the picture)
3. Math for both
SNACK BREAK
4. History Reading and Projects/Notebooking together (M,W,F)
Science Reading and Projects/Notebooking together (Tu, Th)
5. Art together and Seasonal Projects weekly as time allows
I guess since C-Sunshine is 11 and would be in sixth grade, I just assumed she didn't need me anyone. It didn't really occur to me that she needs me more than ever! She might not want to tell me, but she does. And although she does her work and usually does it VERY well, she would still like me to look at it regularly and acknowledge her work and accomplishments. DUH! Hmm.... I feel like that about housework. Someone tell my husband! :)
So, here is to my sweet C-Sunshine who put Mom back on track. God's little helper in getting me back on the path. His path.....
Ohhhh C-Sunshine how I love you! And what a terrific young lady you are.
You are raising quite the confident young lady! Good for her and you both. This tween stuff is kind of hard on our parts. Hard to figure out where to let go and where to guide a bit more. It'll come...with grace:) You are such a good mom!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful young lady your daughter is, and smart, and well, not afraid to tell it like it is ! which is good!! thank goodness for daughters to keep us on the right path.
ReplyDelete