Saturday, December 18, 2010

Flu Fighting Advice

We have been busy fighting the flu with C-Sunshine for the past couple of weeks.  She is finally better and back to doing some activities outside of the house, but just doesn't have her energy back.  I thought I would put down a few thoughts I had while she was at battle.  Things that helped this 40 something year old brain keep track of things and made life easier.


First let me say that it was a nasty strain of flu.  Came on quick as they normally do, with a high fever.  Then came the nausea and vomiting for a day or two along with the high fever.  At one point, her fever spiked to 104.7.  Very scary.  Fever stayed for about 8 days.  During those days, C-Sunshine dropped nine pounds!  To someone who is only 79 pounds to begin with, that is huge!


Anyway here are my thoughts......
Prepare now.  Have on hand, lots of tissues, Tylenol, Advil, Lysol and Clorox wipes.  Also stock up on soft foods for those days following such as apple sauce, mild soups and maybe some Pillsbury rolls.  C-Sunshine only drank minute maid lemonade for two weeks during and after her bout.  Seemed to keep her hydrated.  She didn't want anything carbonated.  Whole fruit lime Popsicles were also a favorite during her re-hydrate time.  Also, I used Thieves essential oils on wrists each day.  I am still using this along with our daily dose of vitamins with a bump up on vitamin C.


So far, no one else has gotten sick.  I Lysoled everything (even C-Sunshine, not really - kidding) each day.  I washed C-Sunshines sheets every other day if she wasn't in them.  On HOT.  Very HOT.  I used the Clorox wipes on all stair railings, light switches, door knobs and bathroom fixtures.  Anywhere that C-Sunshine had been.  Eventually when she was able to be out and about, I followed her with Lysol and wipes and made sure to get keyboards, remotes and refrigerator door handles.  I also washed towells everyday to try and keep the germies at bay.  Mind you, my hubby had a bad cold at the same time, so I was really fighting hard here.  Unfortunately, I think I got his cold.  Couldn't Lysol his breathing at night.  :)


When I was in the thick of it, doing battle with a high fever, one of my saving graces was a plastic basket that I set up to hold all of the meds, thermometer, probe covers and a notepad and pencil.  When I had to get up in the middle of the night, I could just grab the basket, take her temp, give meds and write down what the temp was and what time she took meds.  I kept a pretty detailed list of temp, time and meds.  This made it very easy to give her doctor information over the phone.  I opted not to take her to the doctor until after 7 days and only after she developed a cough I could not control.  She got zero sleep, so I took her in to get a stronger cough med.  Which she hated.  And only took once.


The fact that I had a few meals in the freezer (from Mealing Making with the ladies) came in handy during this time.  If I hadn't, it would have been pizza everynight.  I was getting zero sleep.  Crock pot meals were the bomb during this time.  Although....not during the bout of naseua.  The scent of dinner lofting in the air would NOT be pleasant for someone approaching "the throne" for the fifth time that day.


Well, I hope my rambling will help someone....sometime.  Hopefully no one reading this will have to deal with the flu.  Prayer is also important.  Calling on Him to help you through and care for your precious one.  That is probably the best advice.


I am hoping to enjoy the rest of Advent, sickness free?  Hoping and praying here.


Blessings.....

4 comments:

  1. These are excellent tips, thanks for sharing! Glad she is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just awful. I'm so sorry she had been that sick. And it is really hard on Mama in many ways, not counting the worrying. You are right on those tips. Very good. Now you have my brain going for the just in case...

    I love lysol wipes! Have them in each bathroom.

    Sally was hit like that almost two years ago. It really scared the snot out of me. She was more sick with that flu than she was with her pneumonia as a four year old. Scary stuff!

    Peace and rest to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of lysoling hubby's breath!
    I'm visiting from Patty's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I wish there was a way. I now have a bad cold, but couldn't kick him out of bed. :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line or two. I would love to hear from you!