
The year 2010 was filled with a whirlwind of activity and travel. We began the year with a trip to Florida last January and it seems that we have been "traveling" since. When I say travel, I don't mean out of town. We just seem to be in the van constantly traveling from one activity to another. From co-op to art class to homeschool choir, to religion classes, to American Heritage Girls and on...and on.... You get the picture.
So what's wrong with that? Well, nothing really. If it weren't for the fact that I still haven't had the time to train the girls in many ways that I need to, to prepare them for life. Right now they enjoy being at home and learning new things. Things like cooking, sewing, baking, knitting, scrapbooking, card marking. The list goes on. I am passing up the opportunity to bond with my girls through teaching them to sew and do these other activities in order to provide them with the wonderful activities that are offered in our homeschool community. At the ages of 7 and 11, I need to concentrate more on training at home and less on "social" activities around town.
This does not mean that I "intend" to withdraw from all outside activity. This means that my new motto for the year of 2011 is "Living Intentional". I should be doing all things with intention. I need to map out what my true intentions are for my family and home school for the new year. If something does not fit in with that plan, then it doesn't go on the schedule.
Love these posts, I am always interested in how other families are "finding their way" so to speak. 2009 was an absolutely crazy busy year, 2010 was our year to try and be still a bit more, I am hoping to be even more so in 2011. Looking forward to your next post!
ReplyDeleteGood question. Not sure what I am changing. Looking back, I started to unwind our busy schedule around Thanksgiving. Beside our normal activity, I try to only put two extras on the calendar. I found that when I have a calendar week full, I stress and the family is unhappy. I know that I would like to do more personal reading. I do so much with the kids and not enough for myself. I hope that doesn't sound selfish!
ReplyDeleteKat, that is a great motto for 2011. I'm still thinking about my proposed changes. there are so many I should begin.
ReplyDelete