Well even though the snow and ice had the public school's closing their doors for the entire week here in Georgia, our learning room door was wipe open. All of our outside activities were canceled for this week and I must say that I enjoyed that very much.
In the learning room......
The 3 r's were covered by both girls continuing on with assigned lessons. C-Sunshine finished reading Ben and Me and began reading Abigail Adams and is about the begin Anne of Green Gables (by request).
K-Doodle and I have been reading through all the storybooks on her bedroom shelf this week. We have returned to reading at bedtime, something that got lost over the summer. I just love this cuddly time together, just the two of us.
For science, we are studying seals this week. Still using Swimming Creatures of the Sixth Day. I found a lot of ocean creature cut-outs and printable's at LearningPage.com. And they are free too! We are continuing to make our Swimming Creatures notebooks although we didn't do much in those this week. We are only in week 3 of this book. We should be A LOT farther. I need to make science a priority and stop pushing it to the back of the list. Way, way in the back.....
In History, after a brief dip back into Story of the World, we have returned to American History. We covered the shot heard around the world and the beginning of the American Revolution. C-Sunshine has started planning a meal that will be from the colonial time period. Again, I feel that I could put a lot more energy into teaching history. Both girls love history. I don't know if it is because I am just burning out, or if it is that we are just way to busy outside the house. Will be working on this in the weeks ahead.
Faith - we have started K-Doodles First Holy Communion notebook. It is coming along quite nicely and she is enjoying helping to design the prayer sheets and drawing, painting. I will be posting more on this, hopefully next week. Anyone else have a First Communion this year?
Music and art were both canceled this week outside the house, but many songs were sung, classical music was played and there was a ton of crafting and artwork going on. Extra time means being artsy around here. Especially for K-Doodle!
Around the house........
Tidying, cleaning and organizing. Making a spot for scrapbooking. Reorganizing the learning room. I will post about that soon. I do so love that space!
We were home all week. Went to Mass and took C-Sunshine to the doctor. That was about it. Just lovely days at home. A very nice week in deed.
I posted enough snow pictures from the week. So here is one of our trip to the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta when we went in December. The girls with my pal Big Bird. I found out later that I wasn't suppose to be taking photo's in there. Ooops. The picture's cute though, isn't it? We were suppose to go today, but the trip go canceled.
Visit Jen and Kris and link up your homeschool week. Have a great weekend!

Mabel is going to make her First Communion as well. Please share more on what you do. I would love to see it. We use Seton and the St. Joseph's First Communion Catechism. Right now, focusing on Reconciliation. Ester starts a new chapter on the American Revolution next week. We just finished studying all the wars leading up to it between the English and the French.
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking up this week! We don't do much right now with science and history. Jonah is doing his FHC too, he does his first confession next Saturday!!
ReplyDeleteWe are using Swimming Creatures, too! We are sorta making a lapbook... I found a bunch of stuff for free on homeschoolshare. I'll have to check out your link, too! :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the upcoming Communion.
ReplyDeleteWe have had years when we've fell behind with science too. I've gotten better with it. I now buy experiment kits that have every single supply I'll need. There are quite a few sites that sell all the supplies for the Apologia science. We're doing Flying Creatures. And I print and assemble lapbook stuff in advance. Most of the time.
Don't ask me about spanish though. LOL
We are working on first Communion too. We are reading Faith and Life 2, Little Acts of Grace, and St. Joseph's First Communion Catechism. I have a few posts on my Catholic Babysteps blog about our plans. This page from Happy Hearts Mom was a great inspiration-
ReplyDeletehttp://happyheartsmom.typepad.com/photos/matthiass_1st_holy_commun/index.html
We had snow here too, but no cancellations. I would love a week with no classes, meetings, etc. No Activity week should be a national holiday!
ReplyDeleteJanet W
http://homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/