Saturday, January 16, 2010

History - we are getting it done!


This year, we are using Story of the World Volume One again. This is C-Sunshine's second time around, although she remembers very little about it from first grade. I think she remembers some of the projects, but not much else. It seems "familiar" which is the response that you want. I must say that she is getting so much more out of it this year at the age of 10. Her narration's are getting quite long with lots of details. We use a lot of dictation and narration in the Charlotte Mason style for language arts. We love the LA materials from Queen Homeschool Supply. I think the combination of materials we have been using are really paying off in the way that C-Sunshine is writing these days.

K-Doodle is able to participate in the history read alouds and projects, and remembers quite a lot. I do truly see the benefit of teaching in a classical style. The first time around, I spent too much time worrying about projects and "getting it all done". I have learned to first get the reading done, and then work on getting the projects in the schedule. This has really been very freeing. I am not constantly having to worry about not having all the materials to "do" history. It use to not get done. Now we do our reading, coloring sheets, map work and when we have the time and materials - the projects! And guess what? We are actually making progress through the book. Who knew? I only mention this for those who might be struggling to begin science, history or whatever, because you might not have everything for the "fluff" of projects. Just do it - begin....the "fluff" will follow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line or two. I would love to hear from you!