Life just gets busy. Either I am slowing down, or we are getting busier. I think it is the fact that I am slowing down and can not get it all done anymore. Another factor is the change in dynamic in our house. Now that C-Sunshine is getting older and doing more reading and "solo" activities, K-Doodle is constantly underfoot wanting to be entertained or at least not ignored by someone. I guess I never realized just how much time those girls actually spent together; free time I used to get chores done, email, etc..... I am finding that I just don't have that much "free" time anymore. I guess I am just spoiled by the "playtime of the past".
The lack of playtime has also made the house very quiet. Not in a good way and I don't like that at all. I am really mourning the days of late. I miss the giggling and excitement of playing house and pretending to be whatever we happened to study that day. The imagination was so grand. Where did it go?
I know that K-Doodle still wants to play pretend, but C-Sunshine is just not that interested. I think it saddens C-Sunshine too. She asked me if it was "normal" not to want to play all those things anymore. :)
I find myself struggling. They are living in two different worlds right now. I am not doing a very good job of being involved in either one of their worlds. I had come to rely on their entertaining each other and now find that they are both looking at me for direction and I am clueless. I am floundering like a big fish flown completing out of water. What to do?
I need to find a way to help their worlds collide once again. I had mentioned to C-Sunshine that K-Doodle would be more than happy to do some of the things that she is "into". Making jewelry, playing the Wii together, scootering.... It's just all new and different. I miss the pretend. Heavy sigh..........
| A glimpse back to 2007. I will now look ahead with a smile. |
I hear you, maybe not as loud as it is for you. Just today Mabel set up a play "store" in her room. Did a great job, too. None of her older sisters want to play "store" and Stan the man, well...that new lego table keeps calling his name. Love that beautiful picture of your snow angels. Early winter 2007...I believe we were still living there at the time ;)
ReplyDeleteHi Kat, I found your blog via my blog. I can so relate to this post. My two oldest girls are 20 months apart but so different now. My big girl is growing up and her younger sister just isn't there yet. I so miss the days when they would play all day together. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI was also looking through your lovely blog and saw that you were using countries and cultures. I am looking to do this next year! Is it very mom intensive? I think my guys would enjoy it.
I also use e-mealz and love it. That has made such a huge difference around here.
And I like your pin. Our front entryway is a bit heavy in the shoes. I like how nice and neat your entryway looks. Well done!
Sorry to ramble on, I just couldn't get over how much we had in common! :0)
God bless,
Kirsten
Hi Kirsten!
DeleteThanks for dropping by. I am glad someone is in the gloom of girls growing up along with me during this happy and sad times. I just had a lovely chat with my twelve year old coming home from church alone tonight. I can see that she is growing into such a wonderful young lady.
As for Countries and Cultures, we dropped it or should I say, we are using it along with SOTW. My 12 yo thought it was a bit dry and not enough information for her. I did not do a good job of bringing in the older student activities like I should have. My 8 year old loved it! I especially think boys would like it. Lots of cool stuff in there. I will probably be selling soon if you are interested just email me. :)
Blessings, Kat