One of the wonderful things about homeschooling is that you have the opportunity to decide how your children will spend their time learning. You decide what activities that they will be involve in and how much time they will spend away from home. One of the challenges that I am finding homeschooling in Georgia, is choosing between so many wonderful opportunities for homeschool families. It is incredible. There are large and very organized homeschool groups that offer field trips, seasonal parties, co-op classes, mom's night out, play days, art classes, etc.... The list goes on and on. Where we live, there are several home school groups that we have been involved in, trying to find the right fit for our family. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we like them all! The problem is... we don't have the time to be involved in all the various groups and activities. We do have to get some kind of schooling in somewhere. I also noticed that the more we do outside the house, the more stressed out my girls will be. They love being with friends, but they also love to be at home. Which is a good thing.
I have been reading "Simplicity Parenting". I agree with a lot of what this guy is trying to say about children today being over scheduled and over loaded. Too many activities, too many toys, too many choices. As I spent the weekend "paring down" in the girls bedrooms (remember, they are away....when the cats away.....) I was turning in my mind, the ways that I can "pare" down their outside activities. The more outside distractions I can eliminate, the more time we can spend establishing traditions and memories in our home that will last a life time. Family game night, Dad's Sunday breakfast, Taco Wednesday, Brownies on Saturday.....cleaning routines....learning new crafts, sewing, knitting.... the list goes on.
I know this post is scattered. A laying down of thoughts. I guess my goal for the new school year is "Keeping It SIMPLE". To stop over analyzing. (Yes, I was a logisitics analysis by profession for a time.) I think I need to call on the power of Prayer and the ability of saying "No thank you." Too much thinking going on......but....my girls come home today!

I bet you are excited to see your two cutie-pies!
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said...I truly believe that even homeschoolers can lose touch and get their children involved in way too many things.
When in doubt, I look back into the good ole' days and realize that I hardly did much until jr. high...I think I turned out okay.
Again, even homeschoolers can get caught up in the "give your kids as much as possible" syndrome...and that can come in the form of "activities", not just electronics.
Bottom line: there is nothing better than quality/quantity family time (except for you love of God.)
Great post!